Translate

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Latest on the TTC front: Hysterosalpingogram - very detailed so avoid if squimish!

I figure this could use repeating: This is on the TTC front: Hysterosalpingogram - very detailed so avoid if squimish!

I went to the dr today for the Hysterosalpingogram. It was uncomfortable but not too painful. The details of the procedure for those of you who may have to have this done or for those of you who are just interested. I was not actually sure what was going to happen. From WebMD:

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It often is done for women who are having a hard time becoming pregnant (infertile).

During a hysterosalpingogram, a dye (contrast material) is put through a thin tube that is put through the vagina and into the uterus. Because the uterus and the fallopian tubes are hooked together, the dye will flow into the fallopian tubes. Pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray (fluoroscopy) as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes.

What that means is that they put you on a regular X-ray table that they have just added stir-ups to (its sounding fun already right?) then tell you to sort of hang your butt off the table. Now this is not like your friendly and comfortable OBGYN tables (wait did I really just say friendly and comfortable?? well comparatively yes.. yes they are because they have padding and the stir ups extend a bit). The table here is just metal with a sheet on it and the stir ups are straight up on the end of the table.

To perform this maneuver I was reminded of much younger days when I had to pee outside after having drunk a whole lot (way too much at a club) once which was to say very clumsy, unorganized, hanging over the edge of something not meant for that purpose and I think things ended up in areas that they really should not have been. Also people where seeing bits of my body that are normally not shown in public while they gave me advice on how to accomplish the task better. "Scoot down a bit more" "Hang over just a little bit more" "lean just a bit" "lift your leg here" "wiggle this way" "woops its just plastic" Ahh the good old days (nooooo!!!!! end embarrassing flashback) Those were actually things said during the procedure today and Im not kidding there. It is sort of funny if you think about it. The things we go through in the name of medicine and health.

Now at this point I am just now getting into position and the dr tells me he will probably end up pinching me with the speculum. Also the dye will feel like heavy cramping. Im prepared, ok here we go. Here goes the tube, it is uncomfortable but its ok. Wait what the heck are you doing down there? Oh you are filling a balloon??? No one mentioned this balloon. (BTW the balloon filling is actually the most painful part and its still only feels like really bad cramps). Now speculum is in, the tube is in, balloon is filled, and now with all this in place I must carefully take my legs off the stirups, pull my butt back on the table, and scoot up so they can put the dye in and hurry up and snap X rays.

That part Im certain was funny as all get out if I could have observed it from another vantage point. It took myself, the doctor and one tech to get this accomplished. Once in place the photos took only minutes. They checked took a few more and then took it all out. Told me to wear a pad due to spotting. Told me to watch out for pain, fever, heavy bleeding, chills, other signs of infection. If they happen call the dr or go to the ER. They are rare but still must mention them. Also as they were looking over these tests the dr asked if I have had a CAT scan or MRI of the area. I told him no and asked why? He said he was just checking. That part makes me nervous because after all this time I have found that drs rarely just ask a question out of curiosity.

I should have the results in a few days. This will tell me if there are any blockages of my fallopian tubes or abnormal shaping of my uterine lining causing issues with implantation. On a highly positive note the tech told me that if everything turns out ok with the tests often times the contrast used to get the photos does a wonderful cleaning out of the tubes and pregnancy is usually easier in the future. So thats my story for today's dr visit. Hopeful but a bit nervous is how Im feeling. *hugs to all as usual*

No comments:

Post a Comment