Translate

Monday, October 26, 2015

Dear Diary, My new goals and hopes in life

I thought if I set goals my life would just move back to something more manageable. The thing is I started with goals that were too big for me to achieve. That only made me feel worse when I couldn't do what I had set out to do. So I crashed again. I drank too much, cried too much, and in general, stopped taking care of myself. I got really depressed again. 



This morning was a bit better, though. I decided to start over with smaller goals. I got the idea after reading that book on meditation. It reinforced some stuff I had learned years ago, but I had forgotten. The mind does not care the size of the goal, task or achievement. It really only understands if you were able to do it or not. Every time you are able to accomplish something your brain rewards you. You can get more confidence, feel better, and change your outlook on life.

The best way to do this is to set micro-goals. These are little tiny goals you can accomplish. As you are able to reach your goals, remember to reward yourself even with a simple I did it. You can increase your goals as you go along to give you something more to accomplish. I decided to keep my goals as simple as possible.

Johanna's Goals:

  • Complete 3 tasks a day
  • I will reward myself when I complete each task. 
  • I will start small & take pride in what I am able to accomplish.
Tasks I completed today:
  1. I woke up and cooked food for myself and my roommates.
  2. I took a shower and put on clean clothes.
  3. I made myself a cup of tea.
It may not seem like it but just doing those things and telling myself, "I did this" was a small boost to my self. I feel like I can do complete 3 tasks a day. When I am doing this regularly I will increase my goals until I am back to a place I feel comfortable in. I actually accomplished a few more things, like this blog, but I felt better just having my 3 tasks completed and seeing them in writing. 

To all those who struggle, try something small for yourself. Set your own mini goals. Keep hope alive. Remember you are never truly alone. Someone out there is always feeling like you and someone always cares. I may not always succeed in Life. There is always tomorrow and the Hope it brings with it for a fresh new start. 

Hugs, 
Johanna

No comments:

Post a Comment